Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Book Review: 101 Great Answers to the Toughest Interview Questions

101 Great Answers to the Toughest Interview Questions (2nd Edition), Ron Fry

I purchased this book right after graduation with the hopes of one day mastering the toughest interview questions, but at 21 years old, I got bored after the 2nd chapter and placed the book on my shelf to collect dust. 

Although I was lucky enough to get a job right out of college with little to no help from this book, that wasn't the case seven years later. After bombing my first interview I immediately ran home and dusted off the cobwebs. 

How it worked for me? 

"So, tell me about yourself?" Although you would think this would be the easiest question to answer, you'll soon find out it's everything but. In this book, Ron Fry has you complete an personal data input sheet detailing everything you need to know about you from high school to your current situation. After completing the form in its entirety you not only know yourself better than anyone else (as it should be) but you also discover some strengths and weakness you may not have known before. 

Once you feel like you have "you" down, you then move on to the fun part - The 101 toughest questions. Each question has about a couple answers and an explanation on its background. If you still feel like you're a little uneasy about the answer, Ron Fry also provides you with a little help on which answer is best for you. 

I recently studied this book prior to a high profile AA interview and although I didn't get the job due to other reasons (I'll have to tell you about that another day) I was complemented by the interviewer with a personal call the next day on my interview. She was very impressed with my answers and hoped to work with me in the future in a different capacity.  I'm not sure how much of this book I can attribute to that success,but it can't hurt to have this one in your arsenal! 

Check it out and happy reading!