Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Recruiters: Friend or Foe?

Whatever happened to the saying "no news means good news"? 
Apparently no news means bad news when you are searching for a job. 

Dow Chemical contacted me for an interview for a Sr. Assistant position over a month ago, and although I didn't get the position (Their words: I was overqualified), I was told the next day I was being considered for another position. At that moment I was feeling pretty stoked that they took the time to contact me and let me know of this new opportunity; but when I didn't hear from Dow three weeks later, I figured they selected someone else. 

A few days after that, just when my mind started to get over the rejection (Seriously, I was like "Dow who?"), a contract agency for Dow contacted me for a second interview and just like that - I was pulled back in! The recruiter was super excited about the opportunity and even though I wasn't sure about the role, after a couple phone calls, she talked me into it. After she pumped me up for a few days with her excitement and confidence in my candidacy, I was pretty sure I could wow them in the interview; and boy did I wow them. I left that interview feeling pretty confident an offer would be headed my way in a couple days. 

Today was the 9th day and it's been radio silence on the news front! Actually, I contacted the recruiter last week and she said there wasn't any news yet. So this morning I said "enough is enough" and I contacted the recruiter again. This was her exact reply: 
"Oh, I'm sorry. I meant to call you awhile back. They went with someone else. Keep in touch and good luck. Thanks!"
Ouch and Really?!?  At this point the rejections aren't as bad as they used to be, but it really ticked me off the recruiter couldn't even take the time to clue me in on what was going on. I was emailed and phoned daily when I was being considered, but somehow that changes after the interview? It's like you don't even exist anymore.

I've only been doing this a few months but I've heard all the stories from the recruiters.
"Here at X we care for you and believe in you!"
"Your impressive background makes you the perfect candidate for this role!"
"You are a part of our team now, so we will work non-stop to help you find your next career."
Where's that team spirit after the interview?

Today's proclamation: 
How about those drawing skills?
No More Recruiters! 
(I've always been a direct hire kind of girl anyway!)