Friday, November 8, 2013

You don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

Having so much time to myself has allowed me a chance to read A LOT and I've discovered one universal theme in every leadership book: Personal Branding. 


My attempt at modeling.
I was oozing confidence! 
What do people think of when they think of you as a brand?

Professionally, I know I possess unique qualities, but what about my personal branding, more specifically, my style? 

In the past, I dressed to the nines for dinner dates, movie outings and drinks, but I gave up applying my style sometime after 2008. My daily ritual then became: sweat pants and a tank,  a hat, and a pair of flip flops with no accessories on most trips to town.  Usually my appearance didn't bother me, but the times I would encounter an acquaintance from college, an associate from work, or worse, a cute guy at the supermarket, I suddenly cared. 

I know this isn't new information for a lot of us, but I felt authors like Harvey Mackay, Jeffrey Fox and Mireille Guiliano were on to something. 

Harvey Mackay, founder of MackayMitchell Envelope states: 
"Companies have always hired according to subtle, hidden values...Under any circumstances, take huge pains with your grooming, hairstyling, and wardrobe. And not just at interviews, either. Looking good is the rule every time you poke your nose outside the door." (86)
Jeffrey Fox, Founder of Fox & Co states: 
"Practice being presidential all the time, and that includes the business uniform" (74)
Mireille Guiliano, former CEO of Veuve Clicquot states: 
"Your appearance makes a nonverbal, emotional appeal, branding statement and often forms the first impression of you. You've heard the phrase "you don't get a second chance to make a good first impression. First impressions count in business and in life." (92)
While I didn't dress horribly before, I didn't see a need to apply my personal style 24/7. I saw it as unnecessary and time consuming, and really didn't have the energy! However, after reading countless books all stating the same theme, I soon realized it was time to change my stance. Not only has my revised personal branding allowed me a chance to shop; but it has also given me a confidence boost in all areas of my life. 

I finally feel SMEXY (smart and sexy)! 

Yes it takes longer in the morning to apply a little makeup, manage my hair, select a presentable outfit, find a pair of matching earrings, shoes and other accessories; but I don't mind the routine anymore. Furthermore, I'm no longer embarrassed about my clothes when I encounter a stranger in town with a job opportunity. Which happened today! 

Mireille Guiliano sums it all up with, "A leader leads by example, and as much as I love leggings and a sleeveless T-shirt at home, it was never part of my public appearance...you never know who might show up, and over the years we had a few pleasant and not so pleasant surprises." (97)

What do you think? Should we all take a second look at our personal branding? What will your first impression say?