Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Dance & Search! The new way to look for a job!


Have you ever dreaded getting up in the morning because you knew you had a full day of searching and applying? You know what I'm talking about: 

Step 1: Wake up & get dressed
Step 2: Walk the dogs
Step 3: Eat breakfast
Step 4: Retrieve Laptop
Step 5: Search online for awesome job.
Step 6: Fill out application for awesome job. 
(repeat steps 5 &6 all morning long!)

Like most people I was completely dreading the monotony of being unemployed this morning. I woke up to a clean room (my dogs actually slept through the night - huge step in the right direction) and I received more than 4 hours of sleep, so I was quite the chipper one this AM. Until I thought about the task ahead. :( :(

Knowing I would be full of regret if I didn't apply for at least a few jobs this AM, I dragged my laptop from under the bed *with disdain* and setup my desk to apply for yet another job - and another - and another - you get the point. 

Now, normally I apply for jobs in silence (It helps get the creative juices flowing) but today I decided to blast my Al Green station on Spotify for a little variety. For those of you who know me, you can only guess what happened next: 

First, it was the shoulders (bounce, bounce, bounce)
     Then, it was the head (nod, nod - check the door for spectators - nod, nod)
           Then, a little leg kicking (kick, kick, sway, kick - oh crap, was that the dog?)
                 Then, it was the snapping and clapping (snap,snap & a clap-clap, clap & a snap)
                       Then, a little hip action (sway, sway - fall off the chair - check the door - sway, sway)

Finally, I just couldn't contain it anymore - I swear the ghost of a 70's Soul Train dancer took over my body!


After about 4 hours of applying, dancing, some more applying and some more dancing, by noon I was out of wind and sweating with trembling legs from dropping it like its cold. Yeah, my days of dropping it like its hot are LONG gone. However, I didn't fall on my arse throughout the entire process, so that's progress! 

To make a long story short, when I looked back at my applied jobs folder for a status check, I soon realized that I had completed 10 applications without even knowing it. Any other day I would have given up after the 5th application because let's face it - the process sucks!! Sooooo...

Never underestimate the power of an awesome playlist!

Give it a try! I'll be icing my body tomorrow so I'll send my 70's Soul Train ghost your way.