Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Blues, Drinks and Networking??

Are you prepared to network at all times? How about at a downtown bar?

After a few drinks at a local bar I was approached by a very clearly drunk woman who had some eyesight issues to discuss with me, and although frightened about the direction of our conversation, I was glad she signaled me out. The conversation started out very weird (I'm now very acquainted with every aspect of her life), but it ended with an introduction to a couple contacts hiring in the area. How great is that? I visit a bar for the local music and leave with a couple numbers I actually want to call the next day! 

Although it was a great night and I can't wait to meet more slightly drunk people next week, it got me thinking...where else can I meet professional contacts? Where else will my opening line "I just moved to the area and I'm trying to get a lay of the land..." work? 

Should I introduce myself to complete strangers in the grocery store? Maybe chat over some frozen veggies?
      
"Can you hand me that bag of frozen corn? By the way, my name is Brandi..."
(Maybe not, that sounds like a grocery store pickup)

Should I strike up conversations with customers reading the paper at the car wash? 
      
"Hey, did you read page 2? It's crazy right? I just moved to the area..."

How about while waiting in line at the local lunch spot? 

"Sorry to eavesdrop, but are you looking for an analyst? Hi, I'm Brandi..."

How about the park? Or is that creepy? or
How about in line at the ladies restroom?

Although a lot of these sound like horrible pickup lines, I'm going to give it a try! Especially since I have a sign on my forehead that reads "Stop! Tell me your life story!" It's about time I counter their stories with my five minute sales pitch. Who knows, maybe my next contact will lead me into the career of my dreams?